|At least 10 dead after van strikes pedestrians at Yonge and Finch in Toronto|
Nine people were killed and 16 injured after a van ran down pedestrians along Yonge St. between Finch and Sheppard Aves. on Monday afternoon, Toronto police say.
Multiple tarps covered what appear to be victims’ bodies along the two-kilometre stretch of Yonge.
Police said both the van and the driver are in custody but don’t know the motive or cause of crash.
On a video of the arrest that was posted on social media, the person in custody could be heard saying, “kill me.”
WHAT WE KNOW -
A white van heading south on Yonge St. near Finch Ave. mounted the curb and hit eight to 10 pedestrians at around 1:30 p.m. Monday.
- Toronto police say that nine people are dead and 16 are injured.
- The scene stretches for several blocks from Finch Ave. south to Sheppard Ave.
- Police say the driver of the van has been arrested. They don’t know the motive or cause of the crash.
- Social media photos show people motionless and bloody.
- TTC has shut down Line 1 between Sheppard and Finch.
The Toronto Sign has been dimmed and the official flags at Toronto City Hall, all Civic Centres and Metro Hall will be flown at half-mast until further notice to mark the tragic events that took place today.
- Members of the public who may be concerned their loved ones were involved iin this incident are asked to contact
the Family Information and Support Centre
Sandra P. 4/23/2018