| 2017 Immigration Plan – Setting the Foundation for Economic Growth|
– Ottawa, ON – The Government of Canada is committed to an immigration system that strengthens the Canadian middle class through economic growth and attracting investment, supports diversity and helps build vibrant, dynamic and inclusive communities.
The story of Canadian immigration is inseparable from the story of Canada itself.
Over the summer, Canadians from coast to coast to coast were asked to help write the next chapter of our immigration story. Through wide-ranging consultations we heard from Canadians on what immigration means to them and how we can continue nation building. The 2017 levels plan is a thoughtful, responsible approach that takes into consideration Canada’s need for more immigrants while balancing our fiscal responsibilities.
In 2017, Canada will welcome 300,000 immigrants, announced Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister, John McCallum. Immigration levels in 2017 will support economic growth and innovation in Canada while helping to reunite more families and reduce processing times.
“The 2017 levels plan will put Canada in a strong position for the future and support our overall economic and social development as a country.”
Hon. John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
• Backgrounder: Key Highlights 2017 Immigration Levels Plan
• 2016 Annual Report to Parliament on Immigration
• Web Notice: Supplementary Information 2017 Immigration Levels Plan
• Report: 2017 Immigration Consultations
Camielle Edwards 11/1/2016