|Helping Families Prosper ; Universal Child Care Benefit application deadline|
Harper Government is looking for hundreds of thousands of families not currently registered for the enhanced child care benefit
May 1, 2015– Winnipeg, Manitoba – Employment and Social Development Canada
The Harper Government is extending the application deadline to receive the enhanced Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) until May 15 so that more families can receive their UCCB cheque in July. The Honourable Pierre Poilievre, Minister of Employment and Social Development, announced the extension today and asked for help from the media and the public to encourage families to apply for the benefit.
The majority of families with children, approximately 3.8 million, are known and will automatically receive the enhanced UCCB or be contacted by the Government to confirm their information. However, an estimated200, 000 eligible families are not currently captured by the Government’s UCCB system and may miss out on receiving money that is owed to them unless they apply. It is estimated that more than 7, 600 families with children in Manitoba including 4,500 families with children in Winnipeg are not currently registered. In 2015 alone, this represents potentially millions of dollars in unclaimed benefits.
Under the proposed enhancements to the UCCB, families would receive almost $2,000 per year for each child under 6 and $720 per year for each child aged 6 through 17. The new benefit amounts would be retroactive to January 1, 2015 and be reflected in monthly payments to families in July 2015. The proposed enhancements to the UCCB are expected to more than double the number of families that benefit from 1.6 million to more than 4 million.
If your family is not currently receiving the UCCB, has never received the UCCB, or has never applied for the Canada Child Tax Benefit and you still have children under 18 in your care, please go to www.canada.ca/taxsavings to find out how you can apply.
• Families that need to submit an application will need to do so by May 15, 2015, in order to receive the enhanced UCCB payment in July 2015.
• All families with children will benefit from the new Family Tax Cuts and Benefits Plan, which includes the Family Tax Cut, and enhancements to the UCCB, Child Care Expenses Deduction and Children’s Fitness Tax Credit.
• Combined with tax relief introduced by the Government of Canada since 2006, a typical family of four can receive up to $6,600 in tax relief and enhanced benefits in 2015.
• Low- and middle-income families will receive two-thirds of the overall benefits provided by the Government of Canada’s new family measures.
• The Family Tax Cut will eliminate or significantly reduce the difference in the federal tax payable by a one-earner couple relative to a two-earner couple with a similar family income.
“The Government of Canada wants to ensure hard-working families start receiving their benefits as soon as possible. If you've ýgot kids under 18, you qualify. It doesn’t matter how much you make or the type of child care you choose. Apply now so you can receive the money that is owed to you.”
– The Honourable Pierre Poilievre, Minister of Employment and Social Development
“The UCCB will help every single Canadian family with children under the age of 18 as they try to balance work and family life, by supporting their child care choices through direct financial support. Our Government’s Family Tax Cuts and Benefits Plan puts more money in the pockets of everyone with kids.”
– The Honourable Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay, P.C., Q.C., M.P., Minister of National Revenue
Aaron Bell 5/1/2015